History

DeVan Inspection Co. was founded in 1933 by Mr. B.C. DeVan, a veteran from the timber inspection business. The company came about as Mr. DeVan recognized the need for sampling and surveying of imported and exported bulk materials at various sea ports along the U.S. Gulf Coast.  The majority of these bulk materials such as coal, iron ore and bauxite, were used in the steel and aluminum industries. 

His wife, Katherine DeVan, worked closely with him and was also very well known for her efforts in the school systems in Alabama and Louisiana.   In the years that followed, in addition to the company’s headquarters in Mobile, offices were established in Burnside, Louisiana; Houston, Texas and New Orleans, Louisiana.

Upon graduating from Duke University and completing a tour of duty with the U.S. Navy, Mr. D.M. “Mick” Hargett returned to Mobile and married the daughter of B.C. and Katherine DeVan. Mick joined the company and eventually took over ownership of the business after the death of his father-in-law.

Mick Hargett, expanded the business over the years as the economy grew in the U.S. South. Mr. Hargett passed away in 1995 and his son, Ben, became the President of the company.  Ben Hargett’s tenure with DeVan started in 1972 and lasted for thirty-five years. Ben sold the company in March of 2007.

In 2008 DeVan Inspection celebrated its 75th Anniversary. DeVan continues to operate today as an independent cargo inspection company, servicing most U.S. Ports.